Monday 29 August 2016

Simplicity Sewing Challenge - Best Vintage Make

I saw a post on Facebook advertising the Simplicity Sewing Challenge and decided that it would be fun to have a go so sent an email over requesting to join. I decided to sign up for the Best Vintage make which used Simplicity 1365 (Simplicity provided the pattern for free).

As I wasn't making it for me, I let my model choose which view she would like and she chose view B. My model was two different sizes so I used a 16 for the bodice and a 20 for the midriff. The fabric is a red, polycotton gingham and the size of the checks are 24mm which I bought from Fabricland.
The bodice was tight in the end but I'm not sure if that was because of the way I finished it off or if I should have cut the bodice in size 14 but with a full bust adjustment. It did gape at the side of chest a little but that was sorted by pulling the ties further around. 
Because I used two sizes, there was a lot of pull in the fabric when the bodice and midriff were joined together. To counteract this I changed how the pieces joined together around the back. Here you can see how the back was meant to look and what it looked like in the end.

I would happily sew this pattern together again as it was nice and quick to put together (setting aside trying to work around the fit). I think it would look gorgeous in black! There are 3 things I will take away from this project:
1) I need to learn how to do pattern alterations
2) It's much easier to work through issues and check fit when you have a model on hand.
3) Pattern matching is difficult!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is amazing! I'm so impressed. Very brave, and very cool! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The revealing bust line worried me and looking through the other photos for the challenge, no one else has one :P I must have went too far down the middle of the front

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and all comments are appreciated.